This is a public version of the members-only Harmonica with Howard Levy, at ArtistWorks. Functionality is limited, but CLICK HERE for full access if you’re ready to take your playing to the next level.

These lessons are available only to members of Harmonica with Howard Levy.
Join Now

by level
This groups the Lessons by level according to difficulty.
 ≡ 
by style
This groups the Lessons by musical genre.
 ≡ 
30 Day Challenge
 ≡ 
+Music
 ≡ 
Video Exchange Archive
 ≡ 
«Prev of Next»

Harmonica Lessons: "Corina, Corina" (Intermediate)

Video Exchanges () Submit a Video Lesson Resources () This lesson calls for a video submission
Study Materials Music Theory
Lesson Specific Downloads
Play Along Tracks
Tools for All Lessons +
Metronome
Collaborations for
Submit a video for   

This video lesson is available only to members of
Harmonica with Howard Levy.

Join Now

Information
 ≡ 
Course Description
 ≡ 

This page contains a transcription of a video lesson from Harmonica with Howard Levy. This is only a preview of what you get when you take Harmonica Lessons at ArtistWorks. The transcription is only one of the valuable tools we provide our online members. Sign up today for unlimited access to all lessons, plus submit videos to your teacher for personal feedback on your playing.

CLICK HERE for full access.
X
Log In
X
[MUSIC]
Well this is a very simple old tune and
if you look up versions of it on YouTube,
you'll find a million
different versions of it even
with different melodies,
but I picked the most
straightforward version.
So, the chords are very simple.
It's A
[MUSIC]
four bars of A and then,
D for two bars,and A for
two bars, and then E for
two bars, and A for two bars.
I guess it's 12 bar blues
[MUSIC]
sure enough.
But it almost doesn't feel like
the 12 bar blues for some reason.
It's very leisurely.
This is not supposed to be sung with great
intensity and like man, my heart's broken.
It's kinda a guy sitting around in the
morning in his place wondering where his
woman is.
And it's sort of, it's a simple song.
So what I did on harmonica.
I'm playing in in first
position on A harp.
And the reason I'm using
it in A harp is that it
goes well with the key that
my singing voice can sing in.
So apologies to some of you
who may not have an ear.
[MUSIC]
So that is six blow
[MUSIC]
six draw
[MUSIC]
seven blow
[MUSIC]
and then I play a sixth which is
an interval of an E and a C sharp,
which is six blow and eight blow.
[MUSIC]
And
I'm doing what's called a tongue trill
to go back and forth between them.
So, what you do is
[MUSIC]
first you cover
[MUSIC]
you cover seven and eight with the tongue,
that's in the right side of your mouth,
my right your left [LAUGH].
[MUSIC]
And
then you move your tongue down to six and
seven, and eight comes out.
So the direction your tongue is pointing
is the opposite from where your tongue is,
so it's the trill comes out
[MUSIC].
Tongue trills
[MUSIC].
And then
[MUSIC].
And then I played parallel sixths.
So that's six and eight blow
[MUSIC]
five and eight draw
[MUSIC]
and then five and seven blow.
Because to play sixths when you're moving
down the scale, you have to tongue block
one note on the blow and two notes on the
draw because of our wonderful instrument.
Block 1, block 2,
block 1, block 2
[MUSIC].
So, of course, I played bluesiness and
used that first position blues stuff.
[MUSIC]
But it's kind of a country blues where you
bend the 3rd
[MUSIC]
then you go up to the 6th.
[MUSIC]
Also, since this is for intermediate, we
can't bend the third in the second octave
[MUSIC]
because that's a C natural,
all we have is a C sharp.
[MUSIC]
I'm gonna do an advanced version of this
for you advanced players, where I'll
play the same licks in the middle and
on the bottom of the harp.
[MUSIC]
So for know, I'm limiting
myself to just the pentatonic
scale over that A chord
[MUSIC]
and in the first octave
[MUSIC]
we're missing that flat third there but
you try to disguise it.
So if I played some of
that tune in the first
octave, one, two, three
[MUSIC]
see, I didn't go up to the third
[MUSIC]
that's a little too white bread sounding.
So I try to avoid the notes that
don't sound bluesy enough when I'm in
these parts of the harp, if you don't
know how to do an over blow, okay?
[MUSIC]
And
you can use
your hand.
[MUSIC]
See this isn't
a song to play flashy,
a lot of flashy licks on.
It's a song that I'd like you all
to learn at least those two verses
to sing because when you sing
blues like this you have to play
a solo that's more in flavor of the vocal.
So that's like Louis Armstrong's trumpet
playing, it sounded like he's singing.
So even though I'm not a good singer, I
feel that learning the words of this song
makes me play it a little better on harp
where I'm not doing two different things.
I'm singing it and
playing it pretty much the same way and
I'm hearing what I'm gonna play
in my head before I play it too,
a lot of the times like
singing through the harp.
[MUSIC]
There's also that alternating
playing fills between your vocals.
And that's a good thing to practice.
So I'll do that again for
you on the bottom of the harp.
[MUSIC]
And
that's a,
that's a warble
up on the top
by bending
notes down.
So, I'm commenting on my vocals.
[MUSIC]
So
I threw in some
repeated things,
playing the same
lick
[MUSIC]
and you can
experiment with that.
All you do is you just start doing it and
let the music carry you along until
you've played it enough times to,
would you say that's true Chris?
>> Sure, until it resolves naturally.
>> Yeah, yeah, you just feel it.
It's tension and release you know?
Because you're trying to tell a story with
your harmonica playing the same way that
you try to tell a story with your singing.
Okay, so that's a few different
things that are going on here.
[MUSIC]
[MUSIC]
We're gonna play
Corina Corina for you.
It's an old rural blues and
no one knows who wrote it.
There's many different version of it.
This is the simplest one.
It's really an eight bar
form with just three chords.
It's an A, I'm gonna play it in
the key of A on an A harmonica,
first position, and use some tongue
tremolos and things like that.
And Chris has got the guitar,
proper to the vintage of the tune.
>> [LAUGH]
>> It's got three chords in it,
it's got A and D and
E, one, four, and five.
>> All the chords you need.
>> That's right, so here it goes.
One, two, three.
[MUSIC]