This is a public version of the members-only Hip-Hop Scratch with DJ Qbert, at ArtistWorks. Functionality is limited, but CLICK HERE for full access if you’re ready to take your playing to the next level.

These lessons are available only to members of Hip-Hop Scratch with DJ Qbert.
Join Now

Skratching
 ≡ 
Battles
 ≡ 
Digital Applications
 ≡ 
Training Dojo

In this section, you can have call and response sessions with experienced skratch djs. They'll skratch the questions, and you skratch the answers. Here, you can try to copy them or just freestyle. Try out the skratches you've learned and put them together in your own way. It's that easy!

When you get better, you can post your own call and response "sessions" for the training dojo so that others can skratch along with you too!

 ≡ 
Beat Juggling
 ≡ 
Setup & Gear
 ≡ 
Helpful Hints
 ≡ 
Guest Professors
 ≡ 
30 Day Challenge
 ≡ 
+Music
 ≡ 
«Prev of Next»

Skratch Lessons: innoFADER Part 2

Lesson Video Exchanges () submit video Submit a Video Lesson Study Materials () This lesson calls for a video submission
Study Materials
information below
Lesson Specific Downloads
Play Along Tracks
Backing Tracks +
Written Materials +
Additional Materials +
Close
resource information below Close
Collaborations for
resource information below Close
Submit a video for   
Skratch

This video lesson is available only to members of
Hip-Hop Scratch with DJ Qbert.

Join Now

information below Close
Information
 ≡ 
Course Description
 ≡ 

This page contains a transcription of a video lesson from Hip-Hop Scratch with DJ Qbert. This is only a preview of what you get when you take Skratch Lessons at ArtistWorks. The transcription is only one of the valuable tools we provide our online members. Sign up today for unlimited access to all lessons, plus submit videos to your teacher for personal feedback on your playing.

CLICK HERE for full access.
X
X
X
[MUSIC]
So.
So basically.
You know, you could probably fast forward
this anyways but
>> He's gonna be all, all one tick.
>> All right.
So we just kind go in here.
>> All righty.
My hands are shaking.
>> Oh, I see.
So that way it comes.
>> So this way you can close it and you
can reopen it.
>> Oh, okay.
>> So that, that's the thing.
A lot of DJs, they wanna, they wanna be
able to put in it,
they wanna be able to put it in.
>> Okay.
>> But they, they want something that's
a little less messy.
>> Yeah.
>> That they're gonna
just be able to remove.
>> Mm-hm.
>> Yeah.
>> Might as well.
>> I mean actually just something I wanna
explain you now.
>> Yeah.
>> This whole pro, this whole adapter.
>> Yeah.
>> This whole test process,
on the new, we're actually working a newer
model where you don't have to do this
whole test process where you just plug it
in, it works.
Cause that's, 90% of the DJs are going to
do that anyways.
So you don't want to have to worry about
got it in the right.
>> So the new ones not going to.
>> I'm actually working on a newer model
that actually has that feature.
>> Good cause that's very important.
You want it like easy.
>> And the other thing that the newer
model is going to have is it's going to be
compatible with a lot more mixers.
I mean some DJs get an M2 and they want to
scratch with it.
>> What's an M2?
>> M2 is a new mark mixer.
It's a very basic two channel mixer.
>> Okay and why do the DJs get it.
>> They get it cause it's cheap.
>> It's cheap.
>> Yeah because.
>> And because it's cheap it's cheap.
>> Well it's cheap but it's, it's, it's
passable if you're first starting with it.
>> Some of our mixers are good.
What's their best mixer?
>> The best mixer.
>> It's pro mixer, I remember they had
this one.
>> You talking about DXM Pro?
>> I have, I don't know.
>> The DXM Pro is probably like they're, I
mean, the most durable mixer.
>> Oh, okay.
>> Yeah.
But now it's, it's now like the X, I think
they have a new model name for it.
>> Oh, okay, cool.
>> Yeah, all right.
>> I see this That was one of my
first mixers [INAUDIBLE].
>> Okay.
Oh, cool.
All right so, what we're gonna do is,
we're gonna put this on here.
And then we're going to insulate this
here.
>> Oh wow.
>> So we just slip this right on.
See, so this is like a no mess way of
doing your,
your little bit of insulation, your
insulation here.
>> Huh, and you say these innovators last
how long?
We've had guys use them for year and a
half never had to clean them.
So.
Never cleaned it.
>> How about the oil thing right there.
>> Some people,
some DJs are very picky about a little bit
of stickiness on the side.
So that's what we have the, the lube.
And actually something I want to show some
peo, some DJs don't get this.
If you open up the kit there's a tube of
lube here.
But there's also there should be, like, a
little, little plastic thing.
Yeah, here it is.
This is something, there's so much little
stuff in here, you might not get it but
while we're on video, I'd like you guys to
see it.
It's this little tube here.
>> Oh, wow.
>> And so, what you do.
>> What the heck is that?
>> When you, when you open this.
>> Yeah.
>> You're gonna have this huge hole in
there, so you just put it in here.
And then, when you wanna lube it,.
You can get right into whatever little
spot you want to get into.
Other, otherwise you just, you'll have
like the whole,
the whole fader will be pink.
I mean it will get all over the place.
It'll get all over your hands.
So here, whatever like sticking on the
sides.
>> Yeah.
>> Just get it right in the little hole
to get right at the end.
[SOUND] See that.
[SOUND]
>> Right in there.
Yep.
>> And just to
drop.
>> Just one?
>> You know, you, you not cleaning
the wall in your car.
>> Oh, okay.
>> Just a drop.
And so what got you into working on this
stuff or whatever?
>> Well actually what got me into is
because I, the mix, the mixer we evolved,
the A100 mixer, which became the A100I,
under my audio innovate.
>> Oh.
>> That was the first mixer we did, and
actually the first fader we used is
actually a proexpelate,
you just removed from here.
>> Oh, okay, okay, okay.
>> And.
>> Did you develop that as well?
>> No, no, no, I just use it, we just
picked it for our mixer.
>> Awesome.
>> Yeah, so.
The idea is that I just wanted something
that was,
DJs wouldn't have to clean every time.
>> Sure. Take it. [CROSSTALK] Take it to
the next level.
>> Yeah.
So I just wanted to take it to
the next level.
Get a good fader that, not only for our
product, but also for any other mixer.
>> Good.
>> Yeah, yeah.
>> Good, good, good.
And these guys are from Winner Pro xfade?
Where'd you say it's from.
>> Pro ex fade is actually from, made by a
company called the collective brakes.
>> Yeah.
>> It's actually a partnership between the
collective brakes and their in England.
>> All right.
>> Yeah.
So.
All right so anyways this stuff in here.
Might be a little tight because you got a
lot of.
>> This pro xfade was pretty good though.
>> Yeah, it's pretty good.
It's, you know what it is?
Every fader that comes out is going to be
an improvement on before.
>> So this came out of course before this.
>> Yes like the [INAUDIBLE].
>> What year is this?
>> This is probably I think 1995, 96.
This came out in let's see, we started,
this came out middle of 98.
Sorry, wait a second, scratch that.
The pro xfade came out 2005, 2006,
[CROSSTALK] around there.
And the Innofader came out in 2008,
[CROSSTALK] around July, August 2008.
That's why we have guys who were the first
testers for it, started in July,
still working.
Without any problems.
No, no cleaning.
No, yeah, yeah.
>> Slides right in
>> All right.
So, so we got this here.
[CROSSTALK] And we got the cables here.
>> All right, nice to see that.
>> See how nice it is?
It's nicely packed as you don't have to
worry about it shorting or anything.
>> Okay.
>> You just throw it,
just throw it right into the mix.
Throw it right into the slot right here.
All right.
So before I put this together.
>> Yeah.
>> One thing you might wanna do.
>> Mm-hm.
>> Is check the polarity or the-
>> [INAUDIBLE].
>> Check the polarity or
also check the cut in, because once you
put, once you put the plate on-
>> Yeah.
>> And get it all stalled you know,
you're gonna have to take it apart again.
>> Okay.
>> And adjust it so you wanna-
>> Sure.
>> to get this thing powered on.
All right, do we have a scratch record
here?
Let's see so what do we got here?
>> Right.
>> [SOUND] Here we go.
[SOUND]
>> Let's try to get,
like a constant tone if we can, it'll just
be easier to check.
>> Where would that record be at?
Oh here, let's try.
[MUSIC]
>> So actually,
we have a practice right now.
This, so you probably want to install it
this way, right?
>> Okay.
>> Now the other thing you want to check
we could adjust the curve, but
I think in the best we'll just use the
standard curve.
Why don't you check the cutter for me.
Do you like, do you like where it's
cutting, well,
what we want to do is before we do that.
Let's get, first let's turn it off.
I don't wanna short anything.
So definitely want to turn it off first.
>> The only thing short here is me.
[LAUGH].
>> Okay.
>> So we'll check the cut in.
And we'll also check, you might wanna
check tension, like you might want to.
>> Oh yeah.
>> I don't know if you.
If you like it the way it is we don't have
to adjust it much feels good to me, yeah?
Feels really good.
>> Yeah.
>> Let me check my, vest x fader here.
Yeah, that's about the same, yeah.
Nice.
>> But you see how, when you put the now,
when you see how like, it's really smooth
in all the directions,
like, because when you're moving-
>> Let's make it a little smoother.
Let's try that.
How do you make it a little smoother?
>> You wanna make it even lighter.
>> Okay, I like that one.
>> It's too slow.
>> Fly like the wind!
>> [LAUGH] okay.
>> This is my fly like the wind motion.
Fly like the wind!
>> [LAUGH]
All right.
>> Okay, what is that now?
>> This is actually a small it's a small
Philips screwdriver.
>> Oh, look at that guy, yeah.
>> We actually have a dual tool, because
this is for that doesn't [INAUDIBLE] and
this other side is like you want to be
mods?
You can pull out wires.
So it's kinda like a cool little tool.
This is actually an eye glass believe it
or not.
>> That right?
>> Yeah.
Because we had trouble finding like
somebody making them.
We went to an glass store.
I said this was perfect.
I bought like, they thought I was crazy.
I got like 1000 of these.
>> What the heck.
>> So so actually, let's just, let's check
this here it's actually pretty loose, but
we'll get a little, let's see.
How's that?
>> That's good.
Yeah, that's fine.
>> See how that works.
>> Yeah, all right.
>> All right, okay.
>> You ever do that?
Like, you don't tell the guy hey hey, can
you turn the radio down?
It's too loud in the car.
And you go.
How's that.
And they go that's fine.
And you didn't really move anything at
all.
[LAUGH]
>> Yeah.
Well I'll do it again like this.
>> No, I love it now.
>> All right so get this thing out here.
[SOUND] Where's the sound here?
>> Just gotta wait for this thing.
[INAUDIBLE] Right now.
[NOISE].
>> Oh, oh, I see.
>> There, the stoplight there, right now
is gonna turn green.
>> How's the cut in?
You wanna check the cut in on it?
Because you could actually get a little
bit tighter than that.
[MUSIC]
>> It's pretty good right there.
I'll, I'll stick with that.
>> Are you sure?
>> That's good, yeah.
>> Okay.
All right.
So, what, what, well, we're pretty much
all good to go.
All we have to do is put it back in.
>> Okay, let's see that.
>> So, that's-
>> All you need is the face plate, right?
>> Yeah, so what we need to do, actually,
there's two things we need to do.
One is that, sometimes you can use the
actual plate that comes with the mixer.
>> Do you guys have one?
>> But we also, in the kit.
>> Yeah.
>> Just in case this one doesn't work
if we open here.
We have a plate here.
And the reason for it is that-
>> The height?
>> It's actually this, this, another
reason for it,
the some of the mixers like the faders.
Like the
>> The
>> Tell us about that fader [INAUDIBLE]
>> The is actually a very strong
fader but.
The problem that most DJs have with it is
they don't like the feel of it.
>> Oh.
>> It's too heavy, it's not smooth.
Because if you look, if you look at the
stem, the stem is not
like a round stem it's like, kind of like
a, a square shaped stem.
>> Okay.
>> So what happens is it's not, they don't
have the same kind of smooth.
>> Oh, sure.
>> It kind of feels heavy.
Yeah, it's a very durable fader, but just
not the right.
Feel so.
>> Okay.
>> So that's one main reason why people
want to replace it with this.
>> Right, right, right.
Very interesting.
>> All right, so the idea is that, just,
you have different hole spacing you use.
>> Oh, yeah.
Yeah.
>> The smaller space is actually for will
actually work on the Stanton sa 5's and
the wire spacing is for the like the
amount e zone.
>> Oh, yeah, yeah.
>> 90 92 mixers So, so we used to give it
just a little leeway here so
you can put it in either one.
Cause right now for this mixer you don't
need it.
You could use it.
But it actually fits perfectly in.
>> How about that the Mackey M2 mixer, MD
2 mixer.
>> Mackey M2 has other issues.
>> Do you have that fader for that?
>> It doesn't have enough space in the
slot for it, that's the main problem.
>> Oh, okay.
>> With it.
>> All right.
>> Yeah, so now the other thing that a lot
of dj's ask is if I put in my rain 57 or
my dj manhiemer will all the miti stuff
still work?
Because they think like oh my God,
you can't put someone elses fader in the
mixer.
But, it will all work just fun.
There's nothing to worry about.
We've tested it.
It's, the way the mixers are designed is
that, as long as you put a fader
that works in the mixer, all the other
mixer functions will work.
>> All right.
>> For the most part.
The only other, the only issue that you'll
have is that,
if you put a fader that's only an on off.
>> Mm-hm.
>> Then you won't have all the MIDI,
because it's only on off rather than,
MIDI's got 128 steps in it.
>> Right, right.
>> So if you,
if you don't have that resolution in the
fader you put in there,
then you won't get that.
>> But the inner fader's 256 steps.
>> Okay.
>> So you'll still have all that MIDI.
>> Wow.
>> Yeah, so you don't have a problem with
it.
>> All right, I don't know what he just
said right now.
>> Yeah.
>> But you guys know what's going on here.
>> All right.
>> [INAUDIBLE] in the background.
[MUSIC]